Portable Water Purification for Disaster Preparedness
In the event of the unexpected, people that take the time to prepare are more likely to weather the crisis than those that fail to do anything.
The Rule of Threes
The "Rule of Threes" states that most people can survive for at least:
- 3 minutes without air
- 3 hours without shelter in extreme weather
- 3 days without water
- 3 weeks without food
- 3 months without hope or companionship.
But if you are prepared for a disaster your chances of survival are vastly increased.
Finding Water After a Disaster
In terms of preparing for a disaster and providing the means to supply clean, safe, drinking water, there are a number of things the disaster prepper can do:
- Stockpile bottled water
- Maintain a 55 gallon barrel of potable water
- Build a catchment system to harvest rainwater
- Have a supply of household non-scented bleach and basic water filters on-hand to purify water
- Have a good water purification system that is scaled to meet you individual, family, or group needs.
Some disasters such as storms, floods, or even a terrorist attack may render the municipal water service useless. The supply of water may be severely affected due to system failures, panic buying, or theft. In these types of event, having access to enough water for drinking, as well as basic functions such as cooking and cleaning, becomes essential.
Once you have exhausted your bottled and stored water, you will need to find water from sources such as ponds, streams, rivers, puddles, and lakes. These sources are unlikely to be safe to drink because they contain bacteria, viruses, cysts, and parasites. This water must be adequately treated before it's fit for consumption.
Finding the Right Water Purification System
Having a water purification system that is portable is also an important consideration. Disasters are by their very nature unpredictable. You just don't know where you many have to travel to find refuge. In this case, you'll be glad you had a system that can travel with you and provide enough clean water on demand for all your needs.
A good water purifier unit for a disaster prepper should:
- Produce great, safe, clean, drinking water (without chemicals or complex processes)
- Produce enough water (for the daily needs of at least 20 people)
- Be portable (since you may have to travel)
- Have its own power (such as an internal battery and solar panels)
- Be able to operate from other power sources (such as a car battery or mains supply)
- Be self-contained (everything fits inside one container)
- Be robust (able to withstand rough roads and weather extremes)
- Be easily repaired (using common parts and hand tools)
- Provide additional functions (such as being able to charge cell phones, power radio communications, or run LED lighting)
The AidGear Oasis-3 water purification system is designed and built by people who have a disaster preparedness mindset and know how such equipment should be expected to work following a disaster.
Let AidGear Help You
Please contact us to discuss your disaster preparedness goals and prepper needs.